A Flood of a Different Kind

My dad and I finally took the time and sat down to plan out and finalize large purchases for the van. We bought parts left, right, and center, and soon, the packages began to flow. Or flood. More like a flood really. In one day we got 10 packages and only 2 were not van-related. This was really to help ensure that we wouldn't get held up again waiting on anything that we couldn't just run to the hardware store for if necessary. 

One of the next intermediary steps is really figuring out the electric system. And also water. And propane. Really I just need to get a final, detailed blueprint finished. Once we get that all figured out we will need to purchase all of the wiring, etc. needed for the electric system, hosing for the water, etc. etc.

We did get the roof fan installed! We were even able to borrow some center-cut shears from our neighbor up here and that made it SO much easier! The sealing process went so much easier than with the little window, and there was only one very small hiccup in the entire installation of the fan.

After the fan was installed my mom and I took off headed for a week in Mexico to get in some good sun, sand, and much needed relaxation. Heat just feels so much better when you can jump in the ocean to cool off whenever you feel like it.


*     *     *

Status:  Here's where we stood when I left for Mexico: We had installed 2 windows, the passenger swivel seat, a roof rack that wasn't in the original plans, and the roof fan! When I left, the roof rack had not been leak tested, and the fan couldn't be leak tested yet because the sealant was still curing. After I left, my dad texted me that it had dumped up there and when he checked on the van it was bone dry inside! Yay!!! 🎉🎉🎉
 
Next step is still deep cleaning. I also need to make final decisions on a tankless water heater and a stove/oven and get those ordered.

*     *     *
 
 
When deciding on solar panels, I used OpenOffice (simply because that's what I'm most comfortable with) to create scale templates of the van roof, the fan, and the different sizes of solar panels. Then I was able to easily move around the pieces until I achieved the fit I wanted!
 
 
The process of installing the fan. Once we had cut the hole we had to scramble to cover it, threatened by a Summer rainstorm the entire time. We taped a large box over the opening, then covered the box with a tarp and taped that down extra-well. Several nervous, rainy days were saved by that box and tarp setup! Once things were dry again we finished the installation as quickly as possible!


One of the Summer storms as it rolled through and for once actually made it to the house (of course while we were away picking up the mail).

 
Two deluxe flavors of sizzling kebabs after a long day? Delicious.
 
 
 
And finally...MEXICO 
Several HEAVENLY days were spent in Mexico with my mom over my birthday. It was a much needed break that helped me to reset and de-stress.
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go

Back At It Again!

The Beginning