Lessons Learned

Wow. Thank you for your patience. God has really been working on me with the lesson that started it all: God's timing, not mine. That has been a huge struggle for me. And several times I thought I was getting the hang of it and He proved me wrong. After a very large (and long) lesson I think I finally have the hang of it now, and I am feeling so much lighter.

 

Here's what's been going on since my last update! In August we got the floor installed! I started by deep cleaning the floor of the van with first a broom and shop vacuum and then a stiff-bristled scrub brush and finally a pressure washer. Once she was sparkling, I went around and touched up all the scratches and nicks with primer and paint to prevent rust. Before we started on the flooring, though, I had a special project to work on. Since God started me on this journey and I know I want Him with me every step of the way, I wanted to inscribe scriptures (as well as some inspiring quotes) all over the van before we covered it all up with flooring, insulation, and walls. I've included a list of the quotes, etc. at the bottom of this post. When I finished with that, we pulled out the foam for the floor and started cutting the first layer to fit in the recesses of the floor to make the whole floor one, even level. We used spray adhesive to attach the first layer of foam to the metal floor of the van. Once it was level, we added a second layer of foam, leaving a small gap all around the periphery to be filled in later with expanding spray-foam so as to avoid squeaks.  After that we started cutting our precious plywood. We cut 4 pieces and eventually agreed on a way to join them that seemed the best. Once we got all four pieces cut to fit together as perfectly as we could we had some adventures with routing and then joined the pieces together in the van.

 

Once the floor was ready, we made a trip into town to pick up the vinyl flooring to go on the plywood.



I spent almost the entire month of September in Denver, house/pet-sitting for my sister and brother-in-law while they were on vacation. I had an absolute blast. I got to catch up on several shows I'd been waiting to watch, spend quality time with my favorite pet niece and nephew, and then had a jam-packed last week enjoying a lot of Denver! I got to learn yoga in the Denver Botanic Gardens at sunrise for several weeks, and then enjoyed spending half the day in the gardens again during their free day toward the end of the month. I got to peruse the Denver Museum of Nature & Science on their free day, stroll the Denver zoo during their "adults only" night, and even managed to fit in a pretty deluxe massage to treat myself! And through the whole month I got to enjoy briskly cool, pre-dawn workouts in the truly enormous park out back of the museum. I was often joined by wild bunnies, occasionally a flock of geese would fly over, and I got to see some of the most beautiful views as the moon set over Denver and the sunrise bathed the not-too-distant city skyline in pinks and golds. At the end of it all, my parents met up with me to go see the new Denver installation of Meow Wolf; Convergence Station. That was really an amazing way to end the trip.

 

A sneak peek at the The Boettcher Memorial Tropical Conservatory in the Denver Botanic Gardens, which includes a three-story, Swiss Family Robinson style treehouse of sorts and will hold a part of my heart forever.

 

In October we got the vinyl flooring installed and have almost finished installing the insulation in the walls, doors, ceiling, etc. I also finally finalized the base floor plan for the van! I feel so much better having finally nailed down where the big components will go.

It's not anything mind-blowing, but I'm quite proud of it. This is a top down view with the front of the van to the right. At the top we have from right to left the fridge, the stove and oven, and the sink and counter space. Across from that will be the composting toilet inside a little seat. To the left is the raised bed which will have water tanks, propane, keyboard, and all sorts of other storage underneath it. Every inch of space is precious, and finding the optimal arrangement took unexpected time and effort. I'm glad it's all finally settled.
 

The vinyl was a bit of a mess at first. We thought the adhesive didn't specify trowel size for installing vinyl flooring so we ended up using the wrong trowel and making a bit of a mess of the first half of the floor. Thankfully, though, we were smart in other areas and had started with the back half, so all of that is under the bed and will pretty much never be seen let alone walked on. We fixed our mistake and the second half went down without a hitch.

The thinsulate insulation is currently being stuffed and spray-adhered down in every deep enough nook and cranny. (The not so deep nooks will be covered with a much thinner insulation called Low-E.)   

 

 

*     *     *

Status: 
 
The floor is installed and just waiting on some rubber stair edging to cap it off. 
 
The beginning insulation is nearly finished off.

I chose and ordered a stove/oven setup and it came in! 
 
My composting toilet also came in finally!
 
I have picked out my tankless water heater.
 
We ordered, received, and installed a faring on the roof rack to at least cut down (but hopefully cut out) the horrendous roar we were getting from the rack when driving anything around highway speed.
 
My fridge unit (ordered at the end of June) is backordered and very vague on when to expect it. Hoping for before the end of the year, but it might not be until next year. Not gonna stress.
 
I have thought about my sound setup and decided on one (1) small soundbar in the bed area and a small, but good portable speaker for the kitchen area. Energy consumption should be manageable and the sound should be pretty good, especially in such a small space.
 
I have picked out a mattress to try and plan on purchasing it during Black Friday sales. I will have a 4-month trial period with it to make sure it will work for me and the van.


*     *     *

AUGUST VIEWS


When the sunrise set the sky on fire

OCTOBER VIEWS


(There is no video, only sound.)  I had the house to myself for the weekend and that was when the wind decided it was time for a serenade. It raged through the night and blew until around 5 pm the next day. It is always hard to sleep when the wind is blowing like this, because my bed, (on the top floor) will literally vibrate from the force of the wind. The windows and the beams of the house will creak and crack and in my half-asleep state I am always scared that my windows are going to blow in at any second. I knew these were the strongest winds I had ever been around for, though, when the next morning when I was eating breakfast I could feel the kitchen island (on the main level) vibrating.





(There is no video, only sound.) See if you can guess what the sound might be. The answer? My dad saw a mouse in the garage, so he started banging everything around to try and scare the mouse out.😂 We have both had issues with mice/pack rats in our vehicles, so we are extra aggressive about scaring them off when we see them.

 

 

Below is (I believe) a complete list of the scriptures, quotes, and sigils I included in the van.


At the top of the sliding door

May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine on us - So that your ways may be known on earth, your salvation among all nations. ~Psalm 67:1-2


Sigils on the sliding door

Let the light of your face shine on us

Peace be with you

Peace be within me


On the sliding door by the handle

Grab your coat,

Leave a note, and

run away with me


Above the sliding door

Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. ~Ephesians 1:2

Show me your ways, Lord, teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long. ~Psalm 25:4-5

God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefor we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. ~Psalm 46:1-3


On the floor at the back doors

Contend, Lord, with those who contend with me; fight against those who fight against me. Take up shield and armor; arise and come to my aid. Brandish spear and javelin against those who pursue me. Say to me, "I am your salvation." May those who seek my life be disgraced and put to shame; may those who plot my ruin be turned back in dismay. May they be like chaff before the wind, witht he angel of the Lord driving them away; may their path be dark and slippery, with the angel of the Lord pursuing them. ~Psalm 35:1-6

Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, from the plots of evildoers. ~Psalm 64:2

 

At the top of the back doors

Whoever dwells int he shelter of the Most High will rest int he shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust." ~Psalm 91:1-2

Keep me safe, Lord, from the hands of the wicked; protect me from the violent, who devise ways to trip my feet. ~Psalm 140:4


On the floor under the bed area

Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him. Truly he is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken. ~Psalm 62:1-2

I lie down and sleep; I wake up again, because the Lord sustains me. ~Psalm 3:5

Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. ~Psalm 27:14

Yes, my soul, find rest in God; my hope comes from him. ~Psalm 62:5

 Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken. ~Psalm 55:22

The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace. ~Psalm 29:11


On the floor (general area)

Grow through what you go through

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. ~John 14:27

 "Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Do this and you will live. ~Luke 10:27-28

I walk (and drive ) with God.

Be in the moment


Driver side wheel well

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. ~Galatians 5:22-23a, 25

I exist as I am, that is enough

If no other in the world be aware I sit content,

And if each and all be aware, I sit content.

~Walt Whitman

 

Passenger side wheel well

I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken. ~Psalm 16:8 

Acquaint thyself with God

 

At head-height on walls ringing the van

I love you, Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. ~Psalm 18:1-2

Keep my safe, my God, for in you I take refuge. ~Psalm 16:1

The Lord is my light and my salvation -- whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life -- of whom shall I be afraid? ~Psalm 27:1

...the Lord is faithful, and he will strengthen you and protect you from the evil one. ~2 Thessalonians 3:3

If you say, "The Lord is my refuge," and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. ~Psalm 91:9-12

But you, Lord, are a shield around me, my glory, the One who lifts my head high. ~Psalm 3:3 

You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. ~Psalm 91:5-6

In you, Lord my God, I put my trust. ~Psalm 25:1


Passenger side walls

Don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. ~Luke 12:7b

In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety. ~Psalm 4:8

In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world. ~John 16:33

 For this God is my God for ever and ever; he will by my guide even to the end. ~Psalm 48:14

Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not. We never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: Are we living a life that is worth the harm? ~Welcome to Night Vale

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore, put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of Salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. ~Ephesians 6:10-17

So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. ~Colossians 2:6-7

 

Driver side walls

To be alive

To be alive: no just the carcass

But the spark

That's crudely put, but...

If we're not supposed to dance, 

Why all this music?

~Gregory Orr


Let July be July

Let August be August

And let yourself

just be

even in

the uncertainty.

You don't have to fix

everything.

You don't have to solve

everything.

And you can still

find peace

and grow

in the wild

of changing things

~MHN


As I lie here in my grave/ All my sins have washed away/ Let me tell you from a dead man's point of view/ Live life 'cause when it's done/ You ain't got no other one/ When they sing for your don't let them sing the blues// ~Bohnes

"In your anger do not sin": Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their hands, that they may have something to share with those in need. Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God. ~Ephesians 4:26-5:2

As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it. ~Ephesians 4:1-7

Sigils: God is with me, God is in me

Do good in Thy good pleasure unto us, O Lord. Act toward us not as we deserve but as it becomes Thee, being the God Thou art. So shall we have nothing to fear in this world or in that which is to come.    Amen.   ~A.W. Tozer


Ceiling above passenger seat

Trust the wait. Embrace the uncertainty. Enjoy the beauty of becoming. When nothing is certain, anything is possible.


Ceiling above driver seat

Since you are my rock and my fortress, for the sake of your name lead and guide me. ~Psalm 31:3


On the floor by the sliding door

Die with memories, not dreams

Worry less about the person you once were. Or the person you dream you someday will be. Worry about the person you are now. Or don't even worry! Just be that person. Be the best version of that person you can be.

Be the things you want to see in the world.

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

I will pray that God will touch your life, / I will pray that all will bless you. / I will pray that love will fill your mind, / and that faith will stand around you. / May grace and trust frequent your house, / and mercy's light surround you. / And the love of God be in your eyes, / and on all who are around you. // hymn

Adventures are the best way to learn!


Ceiling (general area)

Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield. ~Psalm 5:12

For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations. ~Psalm 100:5

Luceat lux vestra (let your light shine)


Various others

A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for

Stop waiting for Friday, for Summer, for someone to fall in love with you, for life. Happiness is achieved when you stop waiting for it and make the most of the moment you are in now.

Si vis amari, ama (if you want to be loved, love)


Sigils on the plywood floor

Hide me from the conspiracy of the wicked, from the plots of evildoers. ~Psalm 64:2

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. ~Psalm 150:6

God cares and watches over me

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Letting Go

Back At It Again!

The Beginning